Thursday, December 8, 2011

A picture of the right type of contentment



Did the "simple living" panel discussion today; feel that I was more rambly than concrete... definitely better at the written word than the spoken one. :)

I think I do get tired of trying to understand culture/wealth/opportunity/is life fair?/what responsibility do I have with what I've been given/why can't I just turn off my brain and not have to try and reconcile it all/ etc. 
From Right: Dorothy, Edith, Edith's mom, Rachel, Mary, Edna, and Godfrey (two of Edith's kids), and baby Jean

Dorothy, Edith, Edith's mom, Baby jean (Dorothy's firstborn) Me with Rachel and mary

So, we went to visit Edith's mom yesterday at Edith's place (in the photos, you are looking at the whole of the place).  Edith is a lovely woman who helps us with the kids and some cleaning.  She's a widow and mother of four children that she'll put through school through hard work and very few "rewards" for herself.  And she's joyful and gentle and her children are bright and gentle (from what I've seen).  And I meet her mother who also has a lovely face and manner (I did not share the words of language but the non-verbal language expressed a strength of character and a generally loving nature).   Edith's mom had raised five children; her husband died when Edith was five years old (Edith the youngest of the five children).  

And then the irony that they feel honored that I am at their place (only because my background means I have more material wealth) and yet I'm honored to be with them-- their background means they have more wealth of real life experience, real life sacrifices, real character that has brought them to this tiny one room (bedroom/living room/dining room).  There's nothing like the reality of disparity that makes you soberly consider what you take for granted, what you complain about, what you don't deserve, what will never really be reconciled this side of heaven.  Not that material things equal more happiness;  I do complain about certain lack of comforts as though I deserve them and frankly at times I'm complaining because my "contentment" is bound up in certain standards of living. 

We've been very lucky (even if the environment is not so lucky!) the last month to be on the University generator as Uganda has been currently struggling with providing adequate power throughout the country.  We have heard rumors that the generator is not a sustainable option much longer so I'm trying to prepare my attitude now to remain grateful and not-whiney when the power profusion ceases. :) 

But I also can't help but thinking that this living without, the reality that relationships and time together is the highlight of the days is in fact a healthy reality for many Ugandan families.  It is something that we've lost with modernization/mobility, and its something that many Ugandans are losing with urbanization/mobility.

This theme of orienting my life to the things that matter most is getting stronger.  I don't really know what it can and will look like.  I hope to keep these calmly-smiling mothers in my minds eye of what it can look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment