Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A trip to Maureen's place

Due to my internet speed, I think that I'm not able to post the videos that would really express the culture of childhood and Uganda as well as these photos or my words.  

Yesterday, we went up to visit a preschool that my friend has started in her village.  I've known Maureen for almost ten years.  We first met her as a secondary school student studying in a school where our friends (MCC volunteers) were teaching.  She then attended university at UCU, and has been here for many years as a teacher in Writing and Study skills.  She is working on her Masters in Literature.   She spends half her time working in higher education and half her time devoted to the people in her village; specifically the young children who inspire her to pour her time and energy into their brighter future.  

Maureen is special and I was glad to visit and see the work of her hands in her village.  But she also represents many Ugandan friends of ours who use their time and talents for those who are less privileged--especially their friends and family and community in the villages they come from. 

A  serious strength of Ugandan childcare/education---singing and dancing
I brought a craft-- we're blowing paint for designs
Becky (our tutor for Daniel) and I are with Maureen and her the teacher 
Daniel and Steven Boyy with the kids "posing"
Getting all files and uniforms sorted out before the kids long vacation (in Uganda, the long vacation in December and January not June and July)
Posing--this little girls kept following me around for poses! This is their classroom for now-- they are renting from the district headquarters.
Maureen has several small business that are helping her get money for starting the school--this is the shoe shop!
This is the saloon (they call it saloon not salon here)--Women prioritize hair and fashion even with small budgets!

No comments:

Post a Comment