Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Some of my favorite things!

 Grandpa and two girlies reading on the porch: i.e. letting me roam around and visit a little and take these photos!
The "stands"; part of benefit of whiffle ball games is the 30 minute productive/happy energy of the kids in setting up--and yes, that is a crested crane made of recycled metal and is sitting on a green plastic table that has made it for more than a decade in Uganda--handed down to me from Mama Peggy. The stands are also a place where moms and friends can catch up a little at the end of our days--our days which are full with all kinds of tasks, and details, questions, answers, struggles, joys, funny stories of life and kids and everything in between.  

I feel like it hard to give a perspective on the grandeur of this tree, so I'm giving a bit of a different angle 

A visiting pitcher-- Mark got to play ball today.  He's usually all-time pitcher.  Daniel just told me that Mark got an out of the park home-run--not sure that's been done before at Mukono Park North. 

Mark is great at organizing the regular whiffle ball games; one thing the kids know is that they are going to follow the rules.  Yesterday there was a moment when three kids were called out for running past each other en route to home base and not touching each base in the process.  I recall that Mark's mom told me a tale of overhearing him (as an 8 year old) at some kids sporting event, telling (yelling) at all the kids to follow the rules!!!! 

This is our tree near the end of the day and it provides hours of satisfaction to us, the residents beneath it; to myriad of monkeys who spend their days passing through and to all who pass by and behold its size, its elegance, its roots, its dappled bark, its lacy leaves, its gorgeous negative space... and I could go on. and I probably will some other time. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment