Friday, October 28, 2011

UN parade, kind of like Halloween parade?

So, today was "UN" day at Daniel's school---won't get into political views of the UN, but I would say that I enjoy the little parade of kids from all different countries (the head teacher said at least 39 countries/nationalities represented).

Daniel's class; a great group of kids

As we are pulling into school and Daniel sees a Japanese child and parents in kimonos, a Ugandan in a gomezi, a Norwegian with a big orange wig (World Cup???), he says, "I wish America had more national dress".  And I thought, as I've been forced to think more about by not being in America, there are Americans who have a more national dress.  Would it be wrong to let daniel wear the dress of a Native American next year with a sign--the first Americans?  Last year I was at the genocide memorial made by the Belgians in Rwanda---they have a section of the museum about other genocides and the first ones listed are "North America/South America--20 million and counting".   I was really irked-- I felt that it was a political jab; the Belgians were ticked that Dalier didn't protect the Belgian peacekeepers at the opening of the Rwandan genocide.  And yet, it did plant a seed of contemplation within me--- this is a huge part of American history that we sort of touch on at points but isn't really related to most of our lives.  This year I was talking to two of our USP students that really do have Native American roots; I don't think i've really ever known someone who could claim that they were "Native American"-- again, this can depend on tribe, family members, living on tribal land, etc.... My point is less the politics on this-- the recognition that as a Caucasian American living most of my life in those circles, I've never really known the reality of our heritage (majority of whom cannot claim original roots in North America).  One of USP students with Native American heritage said that she had researched the origins of Thanksgiving--that it wasn't a peaceful celebration but a celebration after a certain slaughter of Native Americans. YIIIIKKEEEESSSS.... It's on my list to look into this on my own, but certainly wouldn't surprise me and yet, I don't know that I'm ready to give up the one holiday in America that isn't based on consumerism and stuff.   Okay, this is a long ramble to say that my life overseas has caused me to consider my own cultural roots more, to reflect/mourn the parts of our culture that are based on human tragedy and loss, and to celebrate the beautiful and good things that our cultures embody.



On a more personal (less "now I know in part") note,  Daniel won an award for exceptional math skills.


So, my mother side is proud.  But my analytical side is also stirred... one night this week Daniel said to me, it seems like you like to try and figure people out.  This sentiment echos one that my mom said via her father--- as a child I visited them and he noted that I like TV shoes with people drama; he was sure that I was intrigued by figuring people out.   And so, I've definitely loved watching Daniel grow-- I've felt he's some mix of my father and of Mark and I'm super curious to see what that combo grows into.   He has strong left-brain abilities and logic and sense of responsibility (Mark), but he does have this sort of dramatic, confident side that seems happy to be noticed and is open/curious about learning about people/skills that take "center" stage.  Several years ago, Mark was at Sipi Falls with Daniel and Daniel trooped up to some group of adult men around a camp fire.  Daniel asked if he and his friends could join as they wanted to roast some marshmallows.  Those parts are definitely more like my dad than Mark.

More to come on a Mukono Halloween, the good, the bad and the scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment