Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Missing the Buttons

Six things that made me think of the Buttons*

*Button family moved last June but had lived in Uganda the whole time that Mark and I have been in Uganda.  They are the godparents to our youngest, there children were like siblings to Daniel, more nights than I count were spent playing games and hanging out with the Buttons.  


1. I found this picture sometime recently; Abigail Button had painted it for us before they moved. Rosie, on my list this semester is framing the Blue Toracco that you painted for us. 

2. The bird bath were from the Buttons, the tree trunk was a shared treasure between our house and theirs.  Buttons, you''ll appreciate how this avocado tree is growing. 

3. Daniel and the Scully kids are playing american football with my dad.  If fun-loving ragamuffin Alex was here, he'd be right in the thick of that (might be a little banter about "america vs. england" spurred on by Mark, yikes, sorry!).  Thankfully, we hear that Alex is right in the thick of sports at his new school in England-- Alex is quite a bit like his father--resiliant, "extroverted" (yes, Dan, you are), loves a good game, curious and open to new things!

4. Two turtles are in there.  They are still here, Abigail!  The Button house was full of creatures who seemed to have a slightly longer life span than our "pets".  And Abigail was a good caretaker of small creatures... I know she was worried about the turtles...can't say that they are as loved as they were, but for now, they are still alive. 

5. Bottle-caps.  I don't precisely remember the origin of the collection... but i'm on a mission now to get them cleaned and sorted and turned into a wall mural or perhaps patio tiles with mosaic designs in them... will keep you posted.  But the project reminded me of you all!

6.  Art: Rosie and I did water-color painting in the years before I had the small girls.  And the Button household often had various arty projects in process.  We have a paper-mache volcano here waiting for vinegar and baking soda lava; but when we were making it Daniel referred to the multiple volcanos that we made at the Buttons house.  Our girls talk about missing Abigail because she liked art like they do.

Don't tell Daniel that I have broadcast this, but a couple months ago, he said, "I still dream about Alex".  Sigh, his first real idol! 

Anyway, I was pondering if this content was a more personal email or worthy of "blog" status but thought this was a chance to express that the origins of my "blogging" started as several friends began to blog about their transitions (to Uganda or away from Uganda) and I realized that I also wanted my friends and family to know about Uganda as it is happening.  

But also I was thinking that the blog is a slightly unique genre; it sort of forces an additional layer of reflection to the life that is otherwise flying by... it sort of helps give one pause to see the themes and big picture when you might otherwise tend be caught up in immediacy.  So, I thought our life with the Buttons is something I'm still processing (and grieving a bit! :); and they are part of a bigger picture of life overseas that basically means that most expatriates have another "home" and you're sort of sharing a period of life together in a unique foreignness.  

Rosie once compared life here to the show "Lost"-- and the question of whether we want to leave the "island" or return to the "island"?  Depends a bit on our characters, our circumstances, what we've left behind (in our home countries or on the "island").  

Well, Rosie, if this is too "public"... tell me... I think I can take it down!  But hopefully you are in a cold, cosy place feeling positively missed and appreciated.  And feel free to share with your kids. 




2 comments:

  1. this is Alex, I am really missing Daniel and like this post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby this made me want to cry! Thank you so much for posting it. I miss you and your family too, we all do. Life!!!

    ReplyDelete