Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Errand day


So, what does an errand day look like for me?  During rainy season, it looks like this! :)

But to give a few more details that merit more than pity...

1. This morning I packed my bags... my psychology book (an undergraduate class I'm doing as a pre-requisite class); a memoir, my purse full of tricks, some headache medicine as I usually need one round of that at some point during the day, money, and cuddles from the kids (I'm always hoping those are cheerful kisses-being-blown goodbyes but it varies according to the day!)

2. I usually try to listen to some music and get my game-driving-face on as it does take some good concentration to try well, anticipate well, and adapt according to the days obstacles.

3. I try to plan most "errand" days with an "alone" cappuccino time first-- in this case with my books and a notebook to jot down my big and small picture details that need to be attended to (who do i need to contact, do i have major overdue correspondence, do I have things/presents I need to send back with my folks, do I have all the drugs I need at our house for various ailments, etc)

4. After that personal time, I'll usually start with one or two of the errands (pharmacy, ink cartridge for a printer, ingredients for daniel's science class, go by the clinic because i forgot to pay for my labwork, etc).

5. Then I usually manage to meet a friend or two in town; there is something much preferable to me to be away from my place of work (my home!) to catch up with friends and their lives.   This time away to   process life with other mothers, other expatriates, other Christians, other vocationally-minded women is important for synthesizing and reflecting on the demands of my life and incorporating the sameness and otherness of other women who navigate similar responsibilities.

6. After such meetings, I usually will tackle some of the other errands-- when I'm lucky that might include popping in at an art gallery or some crafts store/project that someone's told me about.

So, as you can see, it's not a bad life!  But now I'm hearing kids burbling at the door and my "real" duties call.

No comments:

Post a Comment