Friday, August 2, 2013

A post that my gluten free friends should just pass over!

Making donuts and bagels... the donuts were from a website who said they were close to krispy creme... I would agree that the very day they were sort of krispy creme caliber.  The day after they were sort of Kroger caliber--my friend said, these are like ones you get at the grocery store.  But I'm sure the oil you have affects the taste, etc.  Anyway, was wanting to try donuts in case a birthday party merited such a treat.  They were definitely a win. 





Bagels: I have always wanted to try bagels.  I'll confess that I forgot to add the yeast the first go round and then tried to cheat and mix it in... I think that means this was sort of a non-premiere round of bagels.  That said, they were still pretty good.  Not pictured is the hot water bath the bagels take; has to be healthier than the oil bath the donuts take!


P.S. I had my camera on a funny setting that made all my pictures look like we were already in heaven, glowing from all angels! :) The other day Rachel said, "what does this button mean" and when I slid it over, I noticed that the pictures returned to their normal brightness which I'm glad about.

P.P.S.  While my current body shape will undermine what I'm about to say, I can't say that I think the "gluten-free" discovery is going to remain a universal dietary rule of thumb in generations to come.  It just doesn't intuitively make sense to me with thousands of years of history of bread, with the majority of cultures having some form of bread as a staple in their diet.  Now, I do think we have a crazy amount of processed flour in our American diet.  And I'm sure that my friends who are going gluten-free for behavioral things in their kids are not purposefully making their lives immensely harder without really seeing the difference in their kids.  But, I'm dying to see what the verdict will be 50 years from now regarding what the connection is between modern day allergies and an age-old staple food of many cultures.  "I am the bread of life"-- how will we understand this in years to come? 

1 comment:

  1. Impressive! You know I was always after the elusive good bagel...

    ReplyDelete