Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Love calls us to the things of this world



2. I copied the following from a university site with several authors commenting on the poem... I included it just to give the connection to Augustine-- for the title and for the tension the world of other-wordly things is tempting but especially in the life of motherhood, I try to let love call me back to this world! 

St. Augustine
Insofar as "things of this world" derives from Augustine’s Confessions, it is a phrase that aims precisely at complicating the relation between the objective and the conceptual world, as in this passage: "I have learnt to love you late, Beauty at once so ancient and new! I have learnt to love you late! You were within me, and I was in the world outside myself. I searched for you outside myself and, disfigured as I was, I fell upon the lovely things of your creation. You were with me, but I was not with you. The beautiful things of this world kept me far from you and yet, if they had not been in you, they would have no being at all." (Book X, paragraph 27), trans. R. S. Pine-Coffin.



Donald L. Hill
The title "Love Calls Us to the Things of This World' is taken from St. Augustine. "Plato, St. Teresa, and the rest of us in our degree," says Wilbur, "have known that it is painful to return to the cave, to the earth, to the quotidian; Augustine says it is love that brings us back."


Daniel and mom doing errands, with a treat to motivate us!
Kids doing spa day; of course, Daniel goes first
We have a new kitty, a pleasure to watch him bounding around the yard chasing invisible things
The kids dressed up the dogs in sweatshirts
Luckily the table we got last year for dining is officially the art table now
No wonder girls love pink, it is rare and gorgeous--a certain pink light of day comes for about 10 minutes each dusk
Dressed up the puppy--we were trying to take care of this guy but sadly he died (from a wound inflicted by our other dog when the puppy sauntered into their cage). Sad and sobering. 
A favorite friend of the kids was taking videos of their dance moves on the porch
Baby Noll in a Batman suit, on a plasma car,  making his "serious" face
Friends helping us tie-dye shirts

Finished products
Oh, silliness!

No comments:

Post a Comment